On 24/05/2011 08:34, Don wrote:
Paul D. Anderson wrote:
I've got a D programming language implementation of the General
Decimal Arithmetic specification (http://speleotrove.com/decimal/)
that's' more or less complete* and am wondering if it would be useful.
I worked on this over a year ago but life got in the way, so I
neglected it for a time. I now have the time to finish it.

It uses std.bigint as the basis for the decimal numbers. I know there
are plans to bring BigFloat, decimal32, decimal64, and decimal128
numbers into D. The completed* portion of the code fills the role of
BigFloat (although I called it Decimal), and I've got routines that
encode/decode the dec32, etc. numbers but they're not as far along as
the arbitrary precision version.

I guess my question is whether I'm repeating work that's been done or
is being done in this area? If so, maybe I can lend a hand. If not,
I'd like some feedback on what is needed so I can work on the
important things first.

Let me know what you think. At this point I'd settle for a go/nogo
decision. We can work bikeshed stuff later.

Go! We definitely want to get this into Phobos.

Thanks,

Paul

*"more or less complete" == It passes all the tests built in to the
spec. No logical operators or exp/ln/power. Still needs work. I
suppose it could be called an alpha version.

Go