"Andrei Alexandrescu" <seewebsiteforem...@erdani.org> wrote in message
news:isu8vs$d2f$1...@digitalmars.com...
> On 6/10/11 6:14 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> "Andrei Alexandrescu"<seewebsiteforem...@erdani.org>  wrote in message
>>>
>>> That's it. We need a package management expert on board to either revive
>>> dsss or another similar project, or define a new package manager
>>> altogether. No "yeah I have some code somewhere feel free to copy from
>>> it"; we need professional execution. Then we need to make that tool part
>>> of the standard distribution such that library discovery, installation,
>>> and management is as easy as running a command.
>>>
>>> I'm putting this up for grabs. It's an important project of high impact.
>>> Wondering what you could do to help D? Take this to completion.
>>>

>> Just a thought: DVM is already set up to handle managing multiple
>> versions
>> of DMD. And I don't think it's a stretch to figure that support for GDC
>> and
>> LDC would be natural extensions at some point, plus some dmd.conf/sc.ini
>> management functionality (which would be needed for installing D
>> libraries).
>> So maybe DVM could be expanded to handle arbitrary D packages as well?
>
> I think that's an excellent idea. Jacob, would you be interested in
> working on that?

If he isn't interested and no one else wants to jump in, then I'd be willing
to volunteer for it. I'm already familiar with DVM's internals from doing
the Windows port.

Or maybe Andrew Wiley would want to be involved. He did say that he hoped to
turn his xfbuild-like tool into a DSSS replacement. Might be good not to
duplicate efforts.