On 2011-06-18 21:25, Russel Winder wrote:
On Sat, 2011-06-18 at 21:00 +0200, Johannes Pfau wrote:
[ . . . ]
It seems like building orb packages would only work with one specific
build system, Dake. I understand that we need a standard way to build
packages to allow automated package builds, but I think it should also
work with other build systems (waf, make, autotools...).

Or SCons.

The solution most linux package managers use is to let the 'source
package' provide 'build' and 'package' methods. Those methods are then
required to store the files in a specific temporary folder and all files
from that folder will form the package. Having the config files in Ruby
seems like a perfect fit for this approach.

Also: why does a orbspec have to specify its imports? I think it
should rather specify the packages it uses. With some more work it
could be possible to even let dmd find all needed imports and guess the
needed packages from these imports.

If the source code contains imports then surely Dake can deduce this
fact rather than it having to be specified a second time in the Dakefile
-- replication of data is a bad thing.

[ . . . ]

Read my reply to Johannes.

--