On 2011-06-30 10:13, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
"Jacob Carlborg"<d...@me.com>  wrote in message
news:iuh6jn$3df$2...@digitalmars.com...
On 2011-06-29 22:16, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
"Adam Richardson"<simples...@gmail.com>   wrote in message
On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 3:48 PM, Nick Sabalausky<a@a.a>   wrote:

"James Fisher"<jameshfis...@gmail.com>   wrote in message

I don't aim to proselytize one mini-language over another, as they're
much
of a muchness.  But I'd hope to convince people that:

    - Besides required functionality, the key reason to choose one
    markup/documentation/html-generating format is popularity.  It
opens
up
    development to new users, frees up maintainers of old documentation
    generators, and gives you new tools to use for free.  Markup
formats
are
one
    area where Might Is Right.

Popularity should *never* be a significant concern. That's how we end
up
with complete shit like PHP becoming widespread.

Easy :) While I wouldn't use PHP for systems programming, PHP is a solid
tool for building websites.

It's complete garbage for building websites. It's complete garbage for
*everything*. And I've dealt with PHP and PHP web apps a *lot*. I can't
think of a single other web-oriented tool or language that I wouldn't
rather
build a website with than PHP. Even Classic-ASP with VBScript, absolutely
horrid as it is, is at least a somewhat *stable* target.

I wouldn't completely agree with that. I hate PHP as well but I would
choose PHP rather than Classic-ASP with VBScript.

Well, to be fair, if I had to choose between PHP and Classic ASP/VBScript,
my choice would probably be to bash my head into a wall. Preferably brick.
It's not like I'd happily pick ASP.

A brick wall actually sounds better :)

--
/Jacob Carlborg