Actually, I suppose that I could sum up my take on it by saying that if the
two aren't absolutely identical, they shouldn't be treated as equal.

"file." and "file" do _not_ have the same extension. One has an empty extension
whereas the other has none.

I agree. A simple solution is to make the dot part of the extension. So extension("file.") returns "." and extension("file") returns the empty string (be it null or not). Problem solved.

One nice side effect is that concatenating the base and the extension gives back the name.