Am 05.08.2011, 08:35 Uhr, schrieb Jacob Carlborg <d...@me.com>:

On 2011-08-04 22:37, Marco Leise wrote:
Am 04.08.2011, 19:34 Uhr, schrieb Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisp...@gmx.com>:

By the way... the druntime and phobos patches for LDC - are they
applicable to GDC and DMD as well? I'm asking because I could imagine
installing druntime, phobos, DMD, GDC and LDC and all three compilers
would use the same installation of the standard library.

They _can't_ all use the same installations. At minimum, druntime must be different for each of them. That's expected and by design. Whether Phobos needs to be different for each or not as far as source goes, I don't know (hopefully not, but there might be a reason why it has to). But since the compiled library includes both druntime and Phobos, that can't be shared.

- Jonathan M Davis

Thank you for the clarification. My impression was that druntime was
created to make it possible to use either phobos or tango. If the
compiled library includes both (with which compiler anyway? both GDC and
LDC?) I figure that I could not install any two of the three compilers
in their default locations on Linux, correct? If I take the time to
create packages for Gentoo for the alternative compilers that is good to
know. Symlinks and altered library names for druntime/phobos would be
required. But with a mix of DMD1, DMD2, GDC, LDC, Phobos and Tango
things could become messy :p

In the future, DVM could be used for this. DVM lets you easily install different versions of a D compiler and switch among them. Although it currently only supports DMD. DVM: https://bitbucket.org/doob/dvm

I have noticed DVM around.
The situation on Gentoo is typically that when there are different versions of the same package, that can be installed in different 'slots'. A dependency of these packages is a control file for eselect, a tool to switch between the currently active implementation (OpenJDK, Sun Java, ...), package version (boost) and several other system configuration options. 'python' for example ends up as a symlink to either python2.7 or python3.1 and there are corresponding directory names for the libraries. It would be ideal if dmd was a symlink to either dmd1 or dmd2 and they would both use a separate dmd.conf. But since the source code is available for a while now that should be easy to make possible. I have never used DVM, but I imagine it works like Maven or the Eclipse updater. So it would download precompiled compilers and libraries into the user's home directory, right? With Gentoo being a source distribution it is usually avoided to download binaries from the internet so I guess DVM would be one of two options to install D compilers on Gentoo. The difference in usage would be like this for an installation:
dvm: "dvm install 1.068"
portage: "emerge =dmd-1.068"
and this for setting the system-wide default compiler:
dvm use 1.068 -d
eselect dmd set dmd1
Granted, the portage version would only allow one dmd 1 compiler to be installed at a time, but that is ok for most users. I guess in theory there could even be slots for every single release of dmd. This is already done for Boost and automake in practice (with major revisions). OTOH there is no option to set the compiler for the current shell, but maybe "export DMD=dmd1", "make posix.mak" should work.