On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 22:27:49 -0400, Andrei Alexandrescu <seewebsiteforem...@erdani.org> wrote:

On 9/3/11 9:53 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
However, if the code breakage
doesn't actually gain us anything, then we should avoid it. So,
complaints
about code breakage are valid, but they aren't deal breaking.

The larger the amount of code that is broken, the more gain there must
be to justify it.

Breaking std.stdio, which is used everywhere, this thoroughly needs a
very high bar of justification.

I agree. I'm hoping the new stuff could build on top of std.stdio.

It is my plan for the eventual result to break either no code, or as little code as possible. The current library is mostly a proof-of-concept, to see what people think, and to show what might be possible. I think the interfaces in this library make for a much easier-to-write xml library for instance.

It's by no means a proposal for immediate acceptance into Phobos, I'm sorry if it came across that way.

We have to break something in std.stdio, because it's fixated on FILE *. We need something that allows FILE * to play the game, but is focused on a D-based solution. Otherwise, we have no room for improvement. that's what I'm striving for. And along the way, I'm trying to make it as efficient as possible.

-Steve