On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 6:37 PM, bearophile <bearophileh...@lycos.com> wrote:
> Josh Simmons:
>
>> My question is why do you even need a standard API for XML and JSON.
>
> It helps port your user code to other libs that use the same standard API.
> This is very useful. In D I'd like a basic standard API even for simple 2D
> graphics.
>
> Bye,
> bearophile

This would be true if there were only implementation differences
between libraries doing roughly the same thing (in which case you'd
not need a new library anyway). Unfortunately this is not how things
work.

So simple 2d graphics ey? vector or raster based? immediate rendering
or scene graph representation? animation? fonts? textures?

XML ey? SAX, DOM, Pull, Data Binding? XPath? XSLT?

The problem with php isn't just it's awesome naming, it's the fact
that anything that seemed like something somebody might use was added
as opposed to limiting itself to the must-haves.