On 9/14/11 6:32 AM, Jeff Nowakowski wrote:

But the whole idea that posting a positive view of a language/product is
"misleading" strikes me as hilarious. That's all I was saying.

Actually, Andrei has in the past made some noise in regards to other
languages and presentations about cherry picking good results.

To which you protested just as vigorously. Wait, I think I see a pattern :o).

I mentioned that about Pike's presentation of Go because it showed only the positive consequences of some obvious tradeoffs, as if they did some magic somewhere nobody thought of and it was all roses.

If you
know something is flawed and yet use it as evidence in your favor just
because it benefits you, then that is misleading.

I'd say we all lighten up a little. Tiobe is not unequivocally meaningless and D registered a good jump lately, which I believe is rooted in reality. I was glad about that and posted it on reddit. Tiobe is open about its methods and people can draw their conclusions.

Thanks,