On 9/18/11 2:34 PM, Timon Gehr wrote:
On 9/18/11 11:08 AM, Timon Gehr wrote:
Quite interesting.

http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/kikut/think_in_go_gos_alternative_to_the/

2 hours ago, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> The problem is, Vector was just an example of a multitude of
containers. The huge problem with slices is dogfood-related - they
are >
"magic" because the language features proposed to programmers were not
enough for expressing a simple abstraction. Reserving "special"
features
for the language is a terrible way to go about programming language
design.

Don't D arrays do a similar thing? They are not templates, yet work
with
generic element types.

Afaics, improving the language to the point were dynamic array-like
structures could be implemented in the library without resulting in a
bloated executable would be quite involved.

That's an incorrect view of my statement.

I don't think so.

You're free to think anything, but I know what I said and your view of
it is incorrect.

Andrei

Well, I'd say there was a misunderstanding. Understanding someone who is not explaining himself is particularly difficult, so it is quite possible I am the one who misunderstood. But if you lack the time or motivation to carry out this discussion, that is fine of course.