Am 30.09.2011, 20:28 Uhr, schrieb Nick Sabalausky <a@a.a>:

"Nick Sabalausky" <a@a.a> wrote in message
news:j651l8$7m7$1...@digitalmars.com...
"Jose Armando Garcia" <jsan...@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.317.1317404375.26225.digitalmar...@puremagic.com...

I prefer if we take std.getopt one step further (or create another)
and make it completely global. Don't allow the parsing of anything but
the command line

Are you serious? Don't allow it? Why? What benefit could that possibly
provide? It makes perfect sence to think that there may be legitimate
reason to use a commandline parser on something other than the current
process's cmd args. Unittesting, for one, just off the top of my head.
Other people here have mentioned other uses.

It doesn't make any sence at all to arbitrarily prevent a tool from being
applied to whatever the user chooses to apply it to.

It's like applying fascism to API design.

You know, this will eventually end up where all discussions on the internet end. ;)

If anything I'd like this tool to be extended to usage help à la Python. The setup of the cmd line parser there is documentation on the usage of the program.