Am 05.10.2011, 03:28 Uhr, schrieb Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisp...@gmx.com>:

On Wednesday, October 05, 2011 02:51:47 Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
Yeah I've never seen --abc used as -a -b -c before, it looks quite
strange to me. Is this common in unixland?

In unix land, the normal situation is that -- denotes a flag with one or more characters in it, whereas - denotes a flag with exactly one character in it, and flags with one character can usually be concatenated. So, --abc denotes the flag abc, and -abc denotes the flags a, b, and c. I don't believe that I have ever seen a program which took single character flags with --, and programs
which take multi-character flags with - are rare.

- Jonathan M Davis

In Python they use this syntax exclusively in the command-line parser. Disallowing Windows-style or other non-GNU standard options. That's one way to get rid of an "options" parameter I guess.