On 11.10.2011 03:29, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
On 10/10/11 5:55 PM, Don wrote:
On 06.10.2011 20:56, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
On Thu, 06 Oct 2011 12:27:16 -0400, Gor Gyolchanyan
<gor.f.gyolchan...@gmail.com> wrote:

I see. Thanks for the detailed answer.

I should clarify one point, I realized I am somewhat inaccurate on the
reason the type is set to immutable(dchar). In fact, nobody actually
wrote the immutable(dchar) function, it's just that the element type is
immutable(dchar). However, the reasons why someone would want to create
a function that takes an immutable(dchar) function are as I stated -- so
you don't accidentally change the value.

That seems like the discussed-and-discarded 'final' storage class for
parameters. But this is worse. It has an *enormous* cost.

Walter and I have agreed for a long time that upon function calls with
by-value passing, there should be some simple transforms done:

1. If a parameter has no indirections, qual(T) becomes T.

2. qual(T[]) becomes qual(T)[].

3. qual(T*) becomes qual(T)*.

This would improve many aspects of the language. Walter never got to
implementing it, but I'm bringing this up in case one of the wonderful
compiler contributors would want to take it up. Again, I have reasons to
believe Walter would approve of the change.

Thanks,

Andrei

Excellent! That'd be a huge improvement.