On 10/11/11 3:05 PM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
If we're talking use cases and high level interfaces I would go with
something like:
[snip]
I recommend that everyone take a good look at ActiveRecord in Ruby on
Rails:

http://guides.rubyonrails.org/active_record_querying.html
http://guides.rubyonrails.org/association_basics.html
http://guides.rubyonrails.org/active_record_validations_callbacks.html

I confess the example you gave looks very foreign to me. From consulting http://guides.rubyonrails.org/active_record_querying.html, I see Ruby's active records esentially recode relational algebra in Ruby (as for the constructs the equivalent SQL is shown).

For a variety of reasons, this would be tenuous in D. One simple reason is that e.g. lambdas don't offer access to textual representation, which would be necessary to translate lambda-based conditions into SQL text.

I might be narrow-minded, but I thought we're still looking at writing and executing good old SQL code.