On 2011-10-11 23:09, Johann MacDonagh wrote:
On 10/11/2011 4:07 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:

I think that the use of opDispatch and selecting with a struct should be
available at the higher level interfaces and not in the low level
interface.

What do you mean by this? Do you mean instead of having the opDispatch
in the Connection class, we'd have it in a separate struct / template /
other magic? This would allow us to utilize this method for other
sources of data, such as XML.

Something like that. Take advantage of opDispatch in a more ORM like interface. Which also hides the connection and executing of raw SQL.

On the other hand though, this doesn't add a whole lot. Let's say we had
this code:

auto rows = db.execute("SELECT score, a.user FROM users a JOIN scores b
on a.user = b.user");
foreach (row; rows) {
writeln(to!int(row["score"]));
}

I think that the above code would sit in a middle layer between the lower level of the database driver and a higher level of an ORM like interface. See my reply to one of Andrei's posts.

--
/Jacob Carlborg