On 2011-10-14 20:05:09 +0000, "Steven Schveighoffer" <schvei...@yahoo.com> said:

I don't think the compiler will auto-convert someTemplate!(inout(V)) to e.g. someTemplate!(const(V)). Does that work? I know that for instance, I can't do this:

struct S(T)
{
    T * x;
}

S!(int) ptr;
S!(const(int)) cptr = ptr;

So I wouldn't expect the compiler to do the above translation either...

Perhaps you can add this to the struct:

        void this(U)(in S!U other) if (__traits(compiles, this.x = other.x))
        {
                this.x = other.x;
        }

If that works, maybe a similar approach could be used to solve the problem with inout: if you can construct the requested type from the provided one it get converted automatically at the call site.

--
Michel Fortin
michel.for...@michelf.com