On 2011-10-26 18:01, jsternberg wrote:
Gor Gyolchanyan Wrote:

I had a few thoughts about integrating build awareness into DMD.
It would be really cool to add a flag to DMD to make it compile and
link in all import-referenced modules.
Also, it would be awesome to store basic build information in modules
themselves in the form of special comments (much like documentation
comments), where one could specify external build dependencies, output
type, etc.
There would be no need for makefiles and extra build systems. You'd
just feed an arbitrary module to the compiler and the compiler would
build the target, to which that module belongs (bu parsing build
comments and package hierarchies).
Wouldn't this be a good thing to have?

Take a look at Cabal and ghc-pkg/ghc --make from Haskell. I've been thinking
about starting to put together something like this, but I haven't found the
motivation to do it. This type of package management and build integration
would go a long way to making D less decentralized.

One thing that would be needed to complete such a system is proper support for
linking shared libraries (at least on Linux).

There are a bunch of things the build system could do that would make
development in D much easier.

If you're interested in doing this, you should contact me on the IRC channel.

I'm working on a package manager:

https://github.com/jacob-carlborg/orbit/wiki/Orbit-Package-Manager-for-D
https://github.com/jacob-carlborg/orbit

--