The whole "too many keywords" issue strikes me as strange. English has
over a million words in it. Who cares if a language uses 80 or 100 of
them? What difference can it possibly make? How can an extra 20 words
pollute the million word namespace (and not including any non-word
identifiers (like inout))?

Another silly aspect of this issue is all keywords could be replaced by
a sequence of special characters. For example, we could replace inout
with ##. Voila! Less keywords! But is that better?

Keywords exist to make the language more readable. That's why we use
inout instead of ##, and it's why we use + instead of add.

Well, using inout contradict this argument. inout isn't reminding in any way of its functionnality. It is more readable than ##, for sure, but way less than any word from const/immutable lexical field.