On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 21:45:58 +0200, Andrei Alexandrescu <seewebsiteforem...@erdani.org> wrote:

There was more text on the page before, including a code example that wasn't very illustrative.

Most other front pages are still more varied and dynamic.
What happened with the ideas to have the latest commits / newsgroup topics / etc. in a box on the front page?

Regarding ads, this is my "I told you" moment. I am completely opposed to ads anywhere on d-p-l.org, and I believe their presence hurts us in ways that the cost savings doesn't even begin to cover. I see it as a textbook case of "penny wise". That being said, Walter agreed with removing ads from the homepage but not the other parts of the site. I didn't get to that yet.

There's also a moral issue here. Except for the articles he's written, Walter is basically monetizing the work of everyone who's contributed to D. If it were just a matter of hosting, I'm sure there are many from our community who would gladly provide it.

--
Best regards,
 Vladimir                            mailto:vladi...@thecybershadow.net