On 11/19/2011 08:00 PM, Walter Bright wrote:

Since OCaml allows both mutable and immutable state, I stand corrected
in regards to OCaml. But my point still stands.

What point? This sub-thread was about OCaml.

For example, Java has been called "multi-paradigm" because it supports
OOP and Imperative. But there's no getting away from OOP in Java. All
data structures are Objects. Even arrays are Objects. Hence, OOP in Java
cannot be considered an alternative paradigm for Java.

Primitives are not objects, and arrays are specialized objects with language support. Java also supports procedural programming with static methods. It also supports checking reference equality with ==, which is not OO at all. If all you wanted to do was treat Java as a procedural language, you could. You'd pay an object tax on memory, but other than that, the procedural style is very easy to do.

All these OO escape hatches were built into the language intentionally, quite unlike Smalltalk. Besides all this, Java is going to be the weakest language to pick on for "multi-paradigm". Many other languages in today's programming landscape offer more variety.

If you want to argue that D is special, then argue about it's support for functional purity. Even Scala doesn't have that. Just don't get into the quagmire of saying that Scala isn't multi-paradigm because it isn't /really/ functional. And I still say you should avoid the use of "multi-paradigm", because it sounds like a stupid buzzword.

EXECUTIVE
Oh, God, yes. We're talking about a totally outrageous paradigm.

MEYER
Excuse me, but "proactive" and "paradigm"? Aren't these just buzzwords that dumb people use to sound important? Not that I'm accusing you of anything like that. I'm fired, aren't I?

MEYERS
Oh, yes.