On 2011-11-29 05:21, Steve Teale wrote:

On 2011-11-27 07:13, Steve Teale wrote:
You may detest ODBC, but it is very soon going to be the only way to
communicate with SQL Server short of writing another wire protocol
effort.  There was the alternative of OLE DB, but MS is dumping that.

FreeTDS can be used directly.

True. I was thinking Windows at the time (very unusual).

Steve

I'm pretty sure FreeTDS works on Windows. There's a RubyGem, TinyTDS and
works on Windows and uses FreeTDS.

https://github.com/rails-sqlserver/tiny_tds

All that said, I think we must still cover ODBC. MS ODBC will be the
official standard interface to SQL Server, and they are doing Linux
versions - the 64 bit one is already available.

Steve

Of course we can still cover ODBC, I just don't think ODBC should be the only, or primary, interface to SQL Server.

--
/Jacob Carlborg