On Fri, 02 Dec 2011 16:46:19 +0100, Xinok <xi...@live.com> wrote:

Reading through the 'Java > Scala' thread, I've realized there are some benefits to dynamic code generation vs statically compiled code. Things like unrolling loops, devirtualizing functions, etc.

So it made me wonder, could D benefit from such technology, not from a feature standpoint, but strictly optimization? I'm not familiar with the topic, but I imagine there could be a few situations that would benefit in terms of performance, as long as it doesn't affect interoperability.

 - CTFE
 - things typically done using whole program optimization
 - flexible runtime plugins
 - some loop unrolling but the performance win stagnates with the
   latest generation X86 CPUs due to the micro op decoding cache