Iain Buclaw wrote:
On 10 December 2011 07:54, Piotr Szturmaj<bncr...@jadamspam.pl>  wrote:
Bernard Helyer wrote:

Hi, primary author of SDC here.

Existing compilers (DMD, LDC, GDC, DDMD) all descend directly from the
DMDFE. The DMDFE is thus the only real source of true semantics of the
language, except where directly contradicted by Walter, Andrei, or TDPL.
For the ecosystem to not become inbred, a new front-end is needed.

Furthermore, like others, I have become frustrated at the various bugs
of the frontend. These bugs are passed on to all other compilers because
of the afore-mentioned ubiquity of the front-end.

On the other side all bug fixes are also passed on to all compilers.
Rewriting entire frontend would certainly introduce another set of bugs.

Sure, but that is not an excuse to discourage such development (and we
could certainly go turtles all the way down with this argument, as all
bugs created are passed on to all compilers too!)

Yes, that was Bernard's argument. :)

I'm not against anything and I wish the best for this project. :)
However, care must be taken to ensure that compilers are compatible. The number of bugs in DMD bugzilla reminds me how hard it is to implement such compiler.