On 12/12/2011 03:56 AM, dsimcha wrote:
On 12/11/2011 9:41 PM, Timon Gehr wrote:
On 12/11/2011 11:37 PM, dsimcha wrote:
On 12/11/2011 4:26 PM, Timon Gehr wrote:
We are talking about supporting precise GC, not about custom runtime
reflection. There is no way to get precise GC right without compiler
support.

FWIW my original precise heap scanning patch generated pointer offset
information using CTFE and templates. The code to do this is still in
Bugzilla and only took a couple hours to write.

But it is not precise for the stack, right? How much work is left to the
programmer to generate the information?

It wasn't precise on the stack, but for unrelated reasons. As far as
work left to the programmer, I has created templates for new (which I
thought at the time might get integrated into the compiler).

That is compiler support. ;)

To use the
precise heap scanning, all you had to do was:

class C {
void* ptr;
size_t integer;
}

void main() {
auto instance = newTemplate!C();
}

Ok, nice. I template my allocations anyway. (even though it creates some bloat)