On 12/18/11 5:11 PM, dmd.20.browse...@xoxy.net wrote:
On Thu, 15 Dec 2011 23:20:50 -0000, Trass3r - u...@known.com
<+dmd+browseruk+31526d5b7d.un#known....@spamgourmet.com> wrote:

It's a shame that

a) you guys apparently cannot imagine a use for a 64-bit D on Windows.

I don't think that argument has been seriously aired. Our trouble with Win64 generation is purely technological. Our toolchain would need major rework to approach that.

b) the interfaces to this newsgroup are virtually impossible to use.

The NNTP interface works as well as NNTP itself works, so I think it the generalization is unfair. Most people including myself agree that the current web bridge sucks, and Vladimir Panteleev actually did something about it: http://dfeed.kimsufi.thecybershadow.net/discussion/group/digitalmars.D. We plan to integrate that after the holiday season.

c) The only response from Mr Bright on the subject is "people are still
using 16-bit".

That was but a side discussion. The situation is rather well known - accommodating Win64's object file format would be difficult.

I've been following along with for must be close to 5 years now, waiting
for it to mature into a usable, production quality product.
I see I am once again too early.

Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to say Win64 generation will be done soon, or when it will be done. But this is not an issue of attitude of carelessness.

Thanks,