On Wednesday, December 21, 2011 22:46:37 Walter Bright wrote:
In general, I agree that that's a good policy. How expensive would you
consider templated functions which aren't used to be with regards to
that? They don't cost nothing, since they still have to be lexed and
parsed, but they don't get fully compiled.

The test is to import the module without referencing any functions in it.
Check if the resulting executable increases in size.

Isn't that a compiler and/or linker issue? I mean, if _nothing_ is referenced
in the module, then shouldn't it never pull anything in and therefore never
increase the size of the executable?

We must deal with our imperfect tools as they are. For example, I am not going to rewrite the Linux ld linker, and the OSX linker, and the FreeBSD linker, etc.