"Nick Sabalausky" <a@a.a> wrote in message
news:jcvnmn$2ea8$1...@digitalmars.com...
> "Nick Sabalausky" <a@a.a> wrote in message
>> "Jonathan M Davis" <jmdavisp...@gmx.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> But not without installing 3rd party software. Windows can handle zip
>>> files out
>>> of the box. It can't handle the others. rar would have exactly the same
>>> problem as 7z files (though from what I've see rar files are much more
>>> commonly
>>> used). We _could_ use a file format other than zip, but then we'd be
>>> requiring
>>> that the user download a 3rd party app just to be able to open the file,
>>> which
>>> is _not_ the case with zip.
>>>

>> Once again:
>>
>> 1. "If you're a programmer, or even just a power user, you have
>> absolutely no
>> excuse not to *already* have a 7z-capable program [EDIT: such as WinRAR,
>> for instance] installed."
>>
>> 2. "What the hell programmer is limited to whatever archive support just
>> happens to be
>> built into Windows?"
>>
>> Even *in addition* to all of that, the built-in windows support for zip
>> is *extremely* dummy^H^H^H^H^Haverage-Joe -oriented. Page after page of
>> hand-holding "wizard" *just* to "extract here"? I can't imagine any
>> programmer or power user even being capable of putting up with that for
>> more than a few days before finally just grabbing WinRAR, etc. And I'm
>> not just speculating: Honestly, I've never even known *one* programmer or
>> power user who actually used Windows's built-in zip support.
>>

> Additionally, sticking with zip-only is like sticking with mp3 for audio.
> Just let them die already! But that's never going to happen if people keep
> offering things in *just* zip or mp3.
>
> You know what gets me about this stuff? People have *no* problem expecting
> others to have multi-core, 64-bit, gobs of RAM, etc., all stuff you have
> to actually go out and buy, and sure, one could perhaps make an argument
> for that (that's completely beside my point here), BUT then expecting
> people (and not just ordinary people, but *programmers*) to upgrade from
> downright ancient *file formats* (ie, software-only) and suddenly there's
> a bunch of "Oh hell no!"

Yet one more thing: The idea is to offer 7z as an alternative to zip, not a
replacement. So with even that one point alone, the whole "access to a 7z
program" issue goes away *completely*. Honestly, I don't see why there's
even still a debate.