On 12/22/11 2:32 PM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
Really? I have not seen that. I have Eclipse 3.7.0 installed and it
doesn't indicate and error with "import package.*;". Latest Eclipse is
3.7.1.

Mine doesn't either, but if you use Eclipe's awesome (and weakly named) Organize Imports feature (Ctrl+Shift+O) by default it replaces the .* with the specific imports. So I think Eclipse tends to discourage .* in general.

It makes sense to me that it's discouraged in Java; when reading third-party code (on the web for instance) it can be very difficult to tell where a type came from if it was part of a .* import.