On 12/29/2011 03:38 AM, bearophile wrote:
Timon Gehr:

On 12/29/2011 02:04 AM, Derek wrote:
On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 10:48:57 +1100, Timon Gehr<timon.g...@gmx.ch>  wrote:

Having parameter names contribute to the interface means that all
developers need to spend time thinking about the best possible names
for their function parameters.

And that's a bad thing, right?

If the time was better spent at creating functionality, yes.

http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/Rename_std.string.toStringz_138740.html

http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/Fixing_enum_names_in_Phobos_141507.html

http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/std.getopt_suggestion_145648.html#N145648

http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/renamepalooza_time_127446.html

I don't agree. Names are among the most important things in a human mind, if
you find the right names, API usability improves. Thinking about the best names
is time well spent, especially for library functions used by a lot of all kind
of people for a lot of time.

Bye,
bearophile

My point is, without named arguments you can improve the names at any time. With named arguments, you are stuck and have to get it right upfront.