On 19-01-2012 01:41, Peter Alexander wrote:
On 18/01/12 12:52 AM, Timon Gehr wrote:
On Tuesday, January 17, 2012 19:31:25 bearophile wrote:
Nick Sabalausky:
Without properties, member function access *ANY* many value
accesses are "a.b()". Is this member value a plain-old-var or a
function?
Who knows! It's a leeked out implementation detail, hooray!

I have a partially related question.

Currently this code compiles even with -property:

void main() {
int[int] aa = [1:2];
auto byval = aa.byValue();
}

But I think byValue is a property, so isn't it right to give a
compilation
error if you add () after the name of a property?

Definitely a bug. Strict enforcement requires that parens be used on all
function calls and that no properties use parens. If you use parens on
them,
that would mean that you're using them on the return value of the
property
(e.g. opCall) - and in fact, that's one of the main reasons that
@property was
added in the first place, since without enforcement, property
functions which
return a delegate result in an ambiguity.

- Jonathan M Davis

A related and way more embarrassing problem is that lazy function
parameters have the same issue.

This program prints nothing:
import std.stdio;
void foo(lazy void delegate() dg){
dg();
}
void main(){
foo({writeln("hello");});
}

Perhaps I'm wrong, but this issue is different.

The code you have written is something that would be written by someone
that doesn't understand how lazy works. You have to use () to un-lazy
it, and then () again to invoke the delegate. There is no ambiguity like
there is with property delegates.

But couldn't that be considered leaking an implementation detail of lazy values? Or is this intentional design?

--
- Alex