On 1/21/12 3:56 PM, Chad J wrote:
I don't think American colleges teach Computer Science/Engineering very
well at all.

Wonder why. USA does have the best programmers in the world though.

Andrei

Sorry I have no numbers to back this up, but I conjecture that many of them are self-taught.

Interestingly, my roommate also mentioned that a certain facet of the American culture might help in this regard: the higher regard for self-starting and making one's own way. Maybe this makes life easier for those that teach themselves their trade? (IMO, I also suspect it's partially responsible for the broken college funding model because it gets distorted in a financial context and becomes "college is your own financial decision, so you are expected to pay for it on your own".)