"Kagamin" <s...@here.lot> wrote in message
news:frjurfeotljhdadmb...@dfeed.kimsufi.thecybershadow.net...
> On Monday, 23 January 2012 at 11:15:02 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> Those are "newbie" Linuxes that, by default, use GUIs[1] which are known
>> to be insanely bloated.
>
> Huh? More bloated than Aero?

I admit I haven't done any direct comparing on equivalent hardware. But my
understanding (from Win7 users who said I should upgrade from XP) is that
Win7 is supposedly at least as fast on the same hardware as XP. 'Course if
they were just full of shit, which they could have been for all I know, then
that would of course make me wrong. ;)

Although, personally, if I were to get Win7, I wouldn't be touching Aero
anyway. Yea, it's nicer than Luna, but that ain't saying much.

>> Yea, stuff that isn't 100%-OSS can be a PITA with Ubuntu :(  But I guess
>> it's pretty bad though if that's a problem in Mint, too.
>
> Well, I doubt the driver installation procedure is different in Mint. From
> what I understood from readme, one should somehow disable nouveau driver,
> change runlevel, reboot in console mode, do proper configuration and... I
> didn't read further.

Yea, when I see mention of things like "runlevel", my reaction is just
"Screw it, I don't care that much." And I even know what the runlevel is.

Anything that involves messing with a bunch of config files (especially
xorg.conf), bash-fu, etc, just to accomplish some basic task leaves a very
bad taste in my mouth.

And they'll *never* get me to configure or recompile my kernel. Fuck. That.
Shit. Ain't goin' near it.

Things are *FAR* better than they were ten years ago, though. And back
*then* they were all claiming things had gotten super-easy. The Ubuntu/Mint
of 2001 was Mandrake, and even that "beginner's" linux was a bloated
half-broken turd with a notably suicidal X11 (granted, X11 still isn't
great). The "fantastic new super-easy package managers" made DLL hell look
like paradise. Using the major window/desktop managers meant having a file
manager that reacted about a minute after you clicked, and using any
alternatives like afterstep or blackbox (especially afterstep) meant days
worth of screwing around just to set up the most basic shit. As a Windows
user, I had time to actually have a damn life (Growing up, I always thought
of myself as a nerd - but 2001's Linux made me feel like a normal human). So
I ran away screaming back to Windows. Now, having previously vacationed in
hell, I'm relatively happy with 2012's Linux ;)