On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 4:26 AM,  <equi...@atw.hu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been thinking . Would not C and C++ backend would make DMD more
> versatile?
> D language could be used in many platforms easily.
> D language could be used in .net and elsewhere.
> It could be compiled with other language that are also translated into
> C/C++.

As far as platform support goes, GDC *should* be able to target pretty
much any platform GCC can currently target. There are probably some
platform-specific issues at this point; one example would be that you
have to disable the section-anchors optimization to get D running on
ARM.
There are also some fun things like Fibers not working because the
getcontext/setcontext/makecontext functions in glibc are just stubs on
ARM, but Iain has done an excellent job of adding GCC-specific version
blocks to Druntime that replace most of the platform-specific code
with pre-written GCC intrinsics.

I know Daniel Green had some difficulty getting a toolchain that
supports TLS on Windows, hopefully he can chime in on whether that's
just Windows or will be an issue on other platforms as well.