On 19/02/2012 17:51, Manu wrote:
<snip>
    Hang on ... are we talking here about some "native int", or the int type?
<snip>
I don't really understand your resistance? I'm going to have the type when I
need it, the
question is, will it be standardised, or will I (& everyone else) invent the
name and
introduce a block of (probably not very portable) version() bullshit at the top
of their
module?

I'm not saying we shouldn't have native integer types in D. Maybe what's needed is to be clearer on what's meant exactly by a native integer type. And then add the types to Phobos/druntime.

I particularly don't understand your suggestion of the names "size_t" and "ssize_t" for these types. They don't seem to me to denote the size of anything. I guess "nativeInt" and "nativeUint", defined in whatever module would be suitable, would be one possibility. Maybe someone has a better idea.

But knowing what code in Phobos/druntime should be using native integer types might help put the problem in better perspective.

Stewart.