On 2012-02-21 17:57, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
On 2/21/12 10:50 AM, Juan Manuel Cabo wrote:
I thought that an alternative to Variant[string] would be to have some
virtual
functions overrideable (getExceptionData(string dataName) or something).
but they would all have to return Object or Variant, so it's the same
thing.

Exactly. By and large, I think in the fire of the debate too many people
in this thread have forgotten to apply a simple OO design principle:
push policy up and implementation down. Any good primitive pushed up the
exception hierarchy is a huge win, and any design that advocates
reliance on concrete types is admitting defeat.

Andrei

That because you can't (shouldn't) push up implementations specific to a given subclass. Why don't we only have one class, Object, and add a Variant[string] there.

Do you see how stupid that is.

--
/Jacob Carlborg