On Sun, Mar 04, 2012 at 11:07:43AM +0100, Mars wrote:
[[...]
> Or maybe we just need a real forum... I was actually thinking about
> posting something similar several times already, especially before
> this new official front end. For people who never used newsgroups
> etc, it feels extremely awkward at first. And if you're used to
> normal, modern board softwares, this is like a small down grade. You
> get used to it of course, but I'm sure this drove people away in the
> past.
> Although it's much better now.
[...]

I personally just prefer email. I use a threading mailer, and it allows
me to sort through threads, keep those I'm interested in, prune those
I'm not interested in, etc., *much* better than any forum software I've
ever seen. The thing about discussions is that they tend to bifurcate
easily, something that current forum software just can't handle in a
nice way without breaking the branching structure somehow.

Plus, with email I get to use text-only, which is a big plus for me
because it focuses on the meat of the discussion instead of distracting
with pretty graphics. And I can stay away from that resource hog called
the browser for yet one more thing. But that's just me... most people
don't agree with that. :-)

I think the conspiracy theorists are out to get us...