On Fri, 09 Mar 2012 06:42:15 +1100, H. S. Teoh <hst...@quickfur.ath.cx> wrote:

Most of the abbreviations I've been comfortable with are
those that I've learned when I was a teenage aspiring programmer.

You've just reminded me about an incident that happened to me. In a previous age, I was a Computer Operator (IBM System 360/25 - a mainframe) and was teaching myself COBOL during the night shifts. I wrote a little program to solve quadratic equations and called it QUADCALC. One day my boss called me into his office because he noticed it was run only a night time and wanted to know what it was. I explained and everything turned out ok for me (I was promoted in fact to a trainee programmer). But he initially thought I'd written a program to calculate horse racing Quadrella predictions, which would have been very inappropriate use of company time. Gotta love those abbreviations.

--
Derek Parnell
Melbourne, Australia