"Matt Soucy" <mso...@csh.rit.edu> wrote in message
news:jjb75b$2en4$1...@digitalmars.com...
> I recall my theater director telling me that the closest modern dialect to
> "Shakespearean English" was somewhere near the south side of the state of
> New York...not sure how much truth there is to that, but it's a cool idea.

Interesting. And amusingly ironic.

> Regional dialects are definitely a thing in the US, but I agree that
> they're not always noticeable...unless you find just the right words for
> someone to say that accent their pronunciation, like the classic "pahk the
> cah in hahvahd yahd" that goes with a Bostonian accent.

My dad's mother is from Pittsburgh, and both of them talk in "normal" US
English until they say something like "wash" which will come out as either
"wush", "warsh" or occasionally "wursh" (although after my occasional
teasing, they've both been getting better :( ).

>>> I tolerate USian spellings
>>
>> I see I'm not the only one with a pet peeve that "'America' is two
>> continents, not one country" :)
>>
> "American" does have the benefit of being more pronounceable, though...I
> just tried to pronounce that "oohz-ee-an", "us-ee-an", etc and they all
> sound odd.

Yea, that's why I always give in and use the word "American" even though it
kinda makes me cringe sometimes.

>>> as much as non-English speaking programmers do, because I see it as an
>>> accepted "Programmer's English".
>>>

>> Being from the US I couldn't be sure, but that's what I has suspected.
>>

> To be honest, I've occasionally wondered why there aren't any (commonly
> used) programming languages using other human languages as bases. I mean,
> English doesn't exactly have the nicest syntax ever...USian here, though.

I'm sure it's because much of computer history is heavily rooted in the US.

But yea, it would be interesting to see a langauge that was based on
something very different. A German-based one would be fun. Or even better,
something that doesn't use the Latin alphabet, like Japanese or Hebrew or
Russian. Or Swahili (which is an awesome-sounding language). Designing/using
an Arabic (right-to-left, IIRC) programming language would be a great
mind-fuck. Heh one of us should hack up DMD to produce a NihonD, using (or
at least allowing) kanji instead of the kanas wherever appropriate :) That'd
be both fun to make and to use.