On 3/9/12 8:35 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
On 3/9/2012 3:14 PM, bearophile wrote:
D will naturally progressively slow down the rhythm of its new breaking
changes, but even very old languages introduce some breaking changes (see
some of the changes in C++11),

What breaking changes are there in C++11, other than dumping export?

Deprecating exception specifications :o).

I don't think that broke any existing code, because there wasn't any :-)

Consider that I and some others agitated for dumping trigraphs. A couple of people voiciferously claimed that their entire code base depended on it, so it stayed in.

Never mind that that codebase could be easily accommodated by writing a literally trivial filter.

But now, to support raw string literals, C++11 has mucked up trigraphs. It's no longer possible to deprecate them without writing a filter that is pretty much a full blown C++ compiler itself.