On 13 March 2012 16:02, bcs <b...@example.com> wrote:
> On 03/12/2012 03:17 AM, Alix Pexton wrote:
>>
>> On 11/03/2012 16:49, Philippe Sigaud wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'm looking for a D grammar in (E)BNF form. Did any of you write
>>> something like that or do you think I can use the grammar parts on
>>> dlang.org?
>>>

>>> I remember different threads on this subject and saw the docs being
>>> updated regularly on github, but my google-fu is weak today.
>>>

>> Rainer Schuetze pulled all the grammar out of the docs and fixed them up
>> a while back as part of his work on Visual D. Its not in straight EBNF
>> and it may not be 100% up to date, but it may be a good place to start.
>>
>> http://www.dsource.org/projects/visuald/wiki/GrammarComparison
>>
>> I hope that is of some use!
>>
>> A...
>

> IIRC the grammar in the docs has tended to be out of date one in a while.
> I'd love to see the source for the grammar rules become the parser source
> (either generating the parser from a grammar, generating a grammar from the
> parser or embed the documentation of each grammar rule in the comments next
> to the code that implements it).

I agree, automatic generation of the grammar rules would be incredibly
useful for D tools. It doesn't necessarily have to be in a
human-readable format, or even in a specific grammar format, just up
to date. We can always have something to convert it into a specific
format for whatever we are doing. We are programmers after all.

--
James Miller