On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 22:46:56 -0400, James Miller <ja...@aatch.net> wrote:

Another thing I have noticed, is that that compared to a cast,
to!<type>  is incredibly slow. Most of the time it doesn't matter, but
I was doing some work with noise generation, and found that casting
the floats to integers was an order of magnitude faster than using
to!int.

There's a check involved, and possibly inlining doesn't make it for whatever
reason.

Andrei

Oh, I wasn't complaining, more just making an observation that the
safe to!<type> is slower than an unsafe cast. Probably obvious, but
worth mentioning nonetheless.

Given the utility of D's templates, the achievable goal should be to make it equivalent. It's worth pointing out, and should be filed as a bug.

I'd bet that it was lack of inlining, possibly due to usage of enforce (haven't looked at the code).

-Steve