On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 15:02:15 -0400, Andrei Alexandrescu <seewebsiteforem...@erdani.org> wrote:

I plan to give a talk at Lang.NEXT (http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Lang-NEXT/Lang-NEXT-2012) with the subject above. There are a few features of D that turned out to be successful, in spite of them being seemingly unimportant or diverging from related consecrated approaches.

What are your faves? I have a few in mind, but wouldn't want to influence answers.

The two that I would cite are auto and slice syntax. I see others have chimed in with the same two.

These were two features that did *not* attract me to D, but I found them to be two of my favorites, and ones I miss the most when writing in other languages.

If I had to pick a third, I'd say the omitting parentheses for 1-arg templates was something I didn't expect to be as great as it is.

Possibly one other thing I didn't expect to be so nice was shared (more specifically, the implications when something is *not* shared). That enabled weak-pure functions which I think are going to be a HUGE feature for D.

-Steve