On 03/23/2012 02:46 PM, Jay Norwood wrote:
I believe the current std.parallelism default threadpool count is number
of cpus-1, according to some documentation. When I was testing some
concurrent vs threadpool parallel implementations I was seeing
improvements on the concurrent operation up to about 14 threads. I
didn't try to figure out how to change the threadpool.

While reading this article I noticed someone who reported similar
improvements up to 14 threads on memory related operations, and
explained it by the number of memory controllers being the limiting
issue. See his item number 4 where significant gains were made in memory
processing up to 14 threads.

So, I wonder if it wouldn't be good to have a couple of different
built-in threadpool types ... one meant for memory operations, and one
primarily for cpu crunching ... with different sizes.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4260602/how-to-increase-performance-of-memcpy

On program startup, do:

ThreadPool.defaultPoolThreads(14); // or 13