On 03/26/2012 04:55 AM, Tyro[17] wrote:

>> > void main(string[] args)
>> > {
>> > string s1;
>> > double d;
>> > string s2;
>> >
>> > writeln("Enter a @ terminated string (multiline ok):");
>> > readf(" %s@", &s1);
>> > auto arr = s1.split();
>> >
>> > if (!stdin.eof()) {

Ah! That's one of the problems. stdin has no idea whether there are more characters available. eof() being true is not dependable unless an attempt to read a character is made and failed. This is the case in C and C++ as well.

>> > writeln("The stream is not empty.");
>> > } else {
>> > writeln("The stream is empty.");
>> > }
>> > writeln("Enter another string (terminated with
>> cntrl-d|ctrl-z):");
>>
>> I am not sure about the cntrl-d|ctrl-z part though. Since it
>> terminates the input, the program should not be able to read any more
>> characters.

I would like to repeat: ending the stream is not a solution because you want to read more data.

>> > readf(" %s", &s2); // No matter how many read attempts

That's the actual problem, and ironically is already known to you. :) Use a \n at the end of that format string.

>> I advise reading string by readln(). You can call chomp() to get rid
>> of whitespace around it:
>>
>> while (s2.length == 0) {
>> s2 = chomp(readln());
>> }
>
> You can achieve the same with:
>
> readf(" %s\n", &s2);

Thank you. However, that method does not remove trailing whitespace.

> My goal however, is not to read one line of information. Rather, it is to
> read multiple lines of information from standard input. I get close to
> being able to do so if i don't including "\n" as a part of my format string
> or if I changing your suggestion to
>
> while (!stdin.eol()) {
> s2 = chomp(readln());
> }
>
> but again I run into the predicament was before, a need to close the
> the stream with Ctrl-D/Ctrl-Z.

If I understand you correctly, the following program works for me:

import std.stdio;
import std.string;

void main(string[] args)
{