On Thursday, 29 March 2012 at 10:49:45 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
Le 29/03/2012 11:47, ezdiy a écrit :
Hello,

D syntax being C-ish one is great for oldschool class of programmers coming C/C++/Java/C# backgrounds, and although it's quite conscise one compared to, eg. javas, it's still much on the overly verbose side for
some people (ie. at least for me :)

The question is, how one would go around to successfully implement an alternative modern syntax to "fix" this. Are there some attempts out there?

This isn't a problem. Compare how successful C/C++/Java/C#/PHP/Javascript/Go/Objective-C/ActionScript are compared to languages with « quite concise » syntax. This is a no match.

This style has proven to be readable, convenient and many programmers are used to it. If you want to change that, you don't only need to prove that another syntax is better, but also that it is THAT MUCH BETTER that changing what everybody is used worth it. This sounds difficult to me.

I'm not here to start flame about old vs new, use irc for that :)

Speaking to the point: Delight seems as a nice concept, however it's awfully implemented (hack of 3years outdated gdc). Such hacks *must* be implemented as code translators for reasons you've cited. Ie i can just generate code for people who refuse to learn something new.