On 2 April 2012 10:02, foobar <f...@bar.com> wrote:
> Or in other words you did regression testing.
>
> Regarding DMD - Walter has a test suite for it for the same purpose. I don't
> know the specifics of it as I never looked at it and not even sure whether
> it's open source or not. The core devs would be able to provide more
> specifics.
>
> Please note that while Walter writes in c++ he has a unique style of it -
> some claim it's very D like.

There are unit tests in D for almost all features and bug fixes.
Sometimes there is a regression, if it's found a test for it is added
when the fix is pushed, to make sure that it doesn't happen again. If
the tests don't compile, that's very bad and all the tests have to
pass before a release.

D's development is pretty solid, there are very, very, few breaking
changes that aren't explicit and most people don't have the compiler
suddenly pull the rug from underneath them (unless they were relying
on the buggy behaviour).

In general, the actual output of the compiler doesn't matter that
much, its the behaviour of the code that matters, so that is why the
tests are in D, it doesn't matter if the codegen changes, as long as
the software still functions the same. That is why we have several
thousand tests for the compiler that check various behaviours.

--
James Miller