On Mon, 02 Apr 2012 20:02:20 +0200, deadalnix <deadal...@gmail.com> wrote:

Now, there are a number of people very unhappy about this state of affairs and want private to hide symbols as well (personally, I think that the fact that it makes private aliases effectively useless is reason enough to seriously reconsider the current behavior), but I don't know if there's any real chance
of convincing Walter or not.

This would be a huge mistake. For instance, private method are sometime meant to be overridden in subclasses, which is impossible if symbol is inaccessible.

NVI for instance would be impossible in such a situation.

NVI is perfectly possible with protected.