On 4/7/2012 8:24 AM, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
On 07.04.2012 2:08, Rainer Schuetze wrote:

On 4/6/2012 8:01 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
On 4/6/2012 10:37 AM, Rainer Schuetze wrote:
I hope there is something wrong with my reasoning, and that you could
give me
some hints to avoid the memory bloat and the application stalls.

A couple of things you can try (they are workarounds, not solutions):

1. Actively delete memory you no longer need, rather than relying on the
gc to catch it. Yes, this is as unsafe as using C's free().

Actually, having to deal with lifetime issues myself takes away the
biggest plus of the GC, so I am a bit reluctant to do this.

How about this:
http://blog.thecybershadow.net/2010/07/15/data-d-unmanaged-memory-wrapper-for-d/

Or you can wrap-up something similar along the same lines.

Thanks for your and other's hints on reducing garbage collected memory, but I find it hard to isolate larger blocks of memory for manual management. Most of the structs and classes are rather small.

I'm rather unhappy to sell D with the hint "Go back to manual memory management if you need more than 64MB of memory and want your application to be responsive."