On 08-04-2012 12:07, Rainer Schuetze wrote:

On 4/8/2012 11:21 AM, Timon Gehr wrote:
On 04/08/2012 10:45 AM, Timon Gehr wrote:
That actually sounds like a pretty awesome idea.

I understand that the stack will still have to be scanned
conservatively, but how does the scheme deal with closures?

I guess the compiler should generate an (anonymous) struct type
corresponding to the closure data layout. There probably has to be a
template for compiler generated structs or classes anyway.

This new type could also be used as the type of the context pointer, so
a debugger could display the closure variables.

This sounds sensible to me. No reason closure marking can't be precise if the compiler just emits the relevant type info (pretty much any other compiler with closures does this; see C#, F#, etc).

--
- Alex