On 2012-05-04 01:57, H. S. Teoh wrote:

To be frank, I question the wisdom of not just using ld on Posix
systems... but OTOH, the world *needs* better linker technology than we
currently have, so this projects like this one is a good thing.

He can start with a version for Windows. If as much as possible of the code is generic and modular designed it should be easy to add support for new formats and platforms.

Linkers date from several decades ago, where programs can be broken up
into separate, self-contained source files in a simple way. Things have
changed a lot since then.  Nowadays, we have template functions, virtual
functions, dynamic libraries, etc., which require hacks like weak
symbols to work properly. And we're *still* missing a sound conceptual
framework for things like cross-module dead code elimination,
cross-module template instantiation, duplicate code merging (like
overlapping immutable arrays), etc.. These things _sorta_ work right
now, but they're sorta hacked on top of basic 30-year-old linker
technology, rather than being part of a sound, conceptual linker
paradigm.

That would be really nice.

--
/Jacob Carlborg